Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rescued

Stories speak to us.  Music and art speak to us.  They connect to something deep within us that we can relate to.  When trying to recall something later - it's these things we remember.  Someone can say something incredibly insightful and life changing, but our human capacity to remember... can forget.

Donald Miller retells a beautiful story in chapter 3.  There is a group of hostages who have been held captive for several months in "some dark corner of the world."  A group of Navy SEALS came in with helicopters and stormed the compound.  Finding the hostages they announced "We came to rescue you - we are Americans"  but none of the hostages would move.  The SEALS knew they couldn't carry them all out... but what to do to help them understand and trust?  One of the the SEALS put down his weapon, took off his helmet, and sat down so near them he was touching several hostages.  He soften his face and put his arms around them.  He loved them to show them he was one of them.  That was something their captors never would have done.  And soon, all the hostages were safely aboard helicopters and heading home.

Warm and fuzzy.  Easy to draw a "christian" comparison.  Jesus comes to us, especially in our dark places and loves us.  He comes wanting to rescue us and will stay and hold us until we are ready to follow him.  I believe we are all children of God - every last one of us.  We can all identify our dark places, and we don't want to be judged on ours so we must not judge others.  God comes to us all to love us, and we too should come to each other to love.

Sometimes it takes more time for us to move from curled up in our corner to standing ready to walk out with our savior.  But I believe God will NEVER give up on any of us.  Ever.

I can relate to the feeling of being rescued - as well as the hostages disbelief.  A few years ago I was very depressed.  So depressed I was just waiting for the right time to take a large bottle of pills I had been saving.  Then came a few days where I was going to be alone and I said goodbye to those I loved.  But God had other plans.  A friend showed up and insisted I come hang out.  Eventually I went.  That night was a battle field inside of me.  I felt God trying to love me, felt his arms around me trying to comfort me but thought I was crazy.  As I felt his touch I wielded around trying to see who was near me - no one.  In my corner I was convinced that I was alone.  No one else really saw me.  No one really loved me.  Any anyone who tried I pushed out.  But that night God wouldn't leave.

After hours of crying, I stood up and walked out of my dark corner and back into the light of the world hand in hand with my savior.  My life has never been the same.

I have gone back to my corner - tried to take control of my life and fight off anything that didn't fit the way I wanted.  Over and over again, God has come to sit with me in my corner until I am ready to leave with him.  I know he will be with you in your corner as well - trust him completely, I know you are scared, but you aren't alone.

In peace with love,
your sister in Christ~Erin

No comments: