Tuesday, February 09, 2010

100 People Who Changed the World #1

1.  Jesus Christ
Ah!  Love it.  So I was looking around for some info on the wonderful world wide web, and stumbled across a site with biographies for the worlds top 100 People who "Changed the World" and was interested.  Number 1 on the list - God.  Awesome.

So I feel like this is cheating a bit... but here's some of their info from the bio:

A key characterist of Jesus's teachings are an emphasis on forgiveness and unconditional love. These represented a departure from the old scriptures which emphasised an eye for an eye. Jesus taught his followers to 'love their enemy' and 'turn the other cheek'
"But I tell you not to resist an evildoer. On the contrary, whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him as well." - Matthew 5:39
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you". (Matthew 5:38-44)
Jesus Christ also taught that the Kingdom of heaven was within. To attain this state he taught it was important to be willing to give up attachment to the world and maintain humility and simplicity - to be like a child.
"The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; nor will they say, `Lo, here it is!' or `There!' for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you (or "within you") Luke 17:20
It was the radical nature of his teachings and a growing following which aroused the suspicions of the authorities.
Jesus was also known as a healer. The gospels recount many miracles where Jesus was able to heal the sick and even resurect the dead (Lazarus)
Teacher.  
Healer. 
Radical.  
#1 Person Who Changed the World

Dear Lord, I can never thank you enough for your presence in my life.  Please help me to live the life of a disciple, to be like Jesus and change the world for you.  The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand... we can love.  As we approach valentines day I ask that you open the hearts of your children to reach out and share your love with someone we typically would not.  Forgive me, your child, for my sinful nature and be my guide as I strive to live my life for you.  Amen

No comments: