Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tuesdays is a day to note a talented person out there.  Today I chose Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. because while reading Matthew 15 - the parable of what pollutes your life I was reminded of a letter written by Dr. King that was read at a celebration for him yesterday (Mr. Luther King Day)

Matthew quotes Jesus to say that it's not what you swallow that pollutes your life, but that which you "vomit" - is the text used in the message =).  Saying, it's not about what you hear and experience that can hurt you, but the things that you say come from the heart and are things you truly understand and believe.  These are the things that connect to you the greatest.

I was thrilled reading this because I often worry about the influences of things that I have been around or study.  I have heard often times to be careful of your company and the people you spend your time with as they rub off on you.  Yet I believe strongly in tolerance and getting to know others- especially those different from you.

(forgive me I will quote more directly soon...)
The letters that spoke to me were exchanged between a Jewish doctor and Dr. King asking his opinion of a statement in the Southern Baptist Conference pamphlet.  It had a statement referring to the 5 million plus Jews of our nation as "lost souls" because they haven't experienced the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  Dr. King replied that he did not agree with the statement.  Furthermore he hopes for a day when people can understand that "God has more in his fold" than just their group - i.e. Christians.

Spoke to my heart.

God Bless you and yours,
your sister in Christ~Erin

No comments: