Saturday, January 30, 2010

Church as a verb

The United Methodist Church has been working with this new marketing tool for a while:
What if church was a verb?
What if the church was really an inclusive community of faith with it's doors opening and welcoming to EVERYONE?  


This is a marketing strategy aimed at young people.  I believe some of it is a reaction of the topic brought up in Kinnam's book "unchristian".  It's a discussion of issues young people today have with "the church".  Examples:  too political, confusing, not accepting, hypocritical, insensitive, judgmental, old fashioned, out of touch, boring.  So young adults - what is your reaction?  Perhaps a more basic question - what do YOU think of the church?  What has shaped these opinions?  (experience?)  What is your opinion on spirituality?  

Leaders in the church are trying to reach out to our generation.  Here are some questions they have:  
What is essential for a Young Adult to feel accepted in a church for the first time?




What are the factors that will determine whether they come back?
My thoughts - I am looking for a church with a multi generational community (folks my age, kids, all ages).  I want a community which can help me grow as a disciple and is welcoming and open.  Honestly, first I will look at the website, but in order for me to come back I want to feel welcome.  More importantly though I want to have had a positive worship experience - something that spoke to me.  Be it the music, the sermon, or the general feeling and style.  I don't think church is a verb, the church/the body of Christ/the bride of Christ - we are a community of believers - people.   
Your thoughts?  

God Bless your and yours,
your sister in Christ~Erin 

No comments: