Saturday, January 16, 2010

Guidelines, but don't worry

When working with groups of students of group initiatives and team building I often want to throw in a twist, something I call "Strange and Wonderful".   For example if a group needs an extra challenge I may stop them and say - "Something strange and wonderful just happened!  While hiking in the jungle Johnny got bit by a titsy fly and his tounge swelled up so much, he can't talk!"

Really it's just a way for me to throw in crazy things and keep my kids on their toes.  =)


I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed by chapters 4-6 today.  Starting with Jesus being tempted, I can relate to that.  He is always so strong and in control.  Then moving into the beginning of his ministry, calling his first 4 disciples, (can you imagine being the father James and John just left behind!), and soon crowds are following him and he is healing people left and right and teaching.

Then starts the teachings - the beattitudes, lots of reference to the laws of Moses, mostly very straight forward dos and don't.  But they aren't simple things, they are difficult.  I really struggle with some of it - divorce, wealth and possessions, love everyone, and always give of yourself beyond expectations.  Do all of this to be holy.  At least that's what I get from it, that it's all about righteousness and holiness.

And at the end of it is my favorite verse,  6.34 "So do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.  Today's trouble is enough for today."

So after all of Jesus's teachings on how to be a righteous person comes "don't worry".  Ah!  So I strive to  be more like Charlie Brown in the image above, enjoying the moment, being thankful, and not worrying.  We'll see how long it lasts...

(don't you have to plan for the future?  I mean, I'm really good at worrying.  About others, about myself, about what is coming up next.  Not so much that it's a problem, right?  Should there be more of a balance?  There are times where I hate Benjamin Franklins quote "God helps those who help themselves", mostly when it is used as an excuse not to help others.  Yet, shouldn't I make plans for my own life?  Plan to have nice work clothes, worry about how I will afford groceries... you know?  Sigh...


So to connect the dots-
As I try my best to be holy and righteous, to help me remind myself not to worry too much, I have a little worry statue near my bed.  He reminds me to give my worries up to God, because they don't do me any good.  (and he is a little strange... but wonderful!)

God Bless your and yours ~ your sister in Christ, Erin

No comments: