Friday, January 15, 2010

Genealogy - dreams - murder = hope




I was very amused by this.  Also interested to note (from my Oxford Bible) that in that crazy long list of names are 4 names of women!  (very unusual for the time period.  Congrats for the honorable mentions to Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, and Bathsheba -the wife of Uriah.





                                           





Growing up in the church, I have many fond memories of hearing the christmas story leading up to Jesus's birth.  Reading today in matthew I noticed that their is very little mentioned of Mary really and the focus is on Joseph.  He seems like an honorable and nice guy.  Yet I am a little jealous that it was considered commonplace for an angel to visit you in your dream and share God's will.



The story in chapter two always reminds me of the terrible things happening to children in our world.  How can anyone target such innocents?  The scene of Herod's men killing all the boys under the age of two in Bethlehem is illustrated very well here...

And todays reading end with hope and the symbol for new life.  A beautiful ending considering that through this time I hope to open up a new life for myself.  (Random fact:  I have been thinking about getting a dove tattoo for years.)

No comments: