Thursday, December 01, 2005

Truth

an important issue. I recently did a speech about the media and one of the biggest problems with mainstream media is it's not truthful. I find that with many things in life. But why is it an issue? Truth is a huge thing for most people. If someone you trusted lied to you on purpose you would be hurt. If you are caught in believing something untrue you can be hurt by your misconceptions. Truth is just as important when talking theology.

How you do determine truth? Well i really think it is up to every individule to understand what they believe to be true to them. There may not be any absolute truths however i think there are some universally accepted truths. The belief that all humans have basic human rights. Beliefs like that. . . are not totally accepted everywhere but many places. When i'm confused about something, if it bothers me i talk about it. . . i seek out more information from everywhere i can get it. From the bible, from friends, from anyone who will talk to me. Then i pray.

I think it is essential to living life to seek out the truth and i encourage you all to never take something simply because someone said it and believe it, especially if it bothers you a bit. Seek out truth, seek out understanding, you'll be enlightened and it can be a wonderful experience.

Deuteronomy 4:29
But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Revelation 3:19-21
19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me

God Bless!
~your sister in Christ~Erin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erin--I agree. Especially with the issue of truth in media. Also.... Do you know much about the Christian Science church? It's really interesting stuff! :o) (hope you're having a great weekend!) --holly