Monday, October 12, 2009

No challenge = no growth

This passage has always troubled me a bit -

Jeremiah 29
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity.

Jeremiah has always been my favorite prophet for lots of reasons, and the beginning of this passage is very familiar and commercialized. However I always got tripped up on the "I will be found my you when you seek me with all your heart". It is pretty clear passage... so why, I ask myself, has it been so hard to find God? Am I not seeking hard enough?

Yet I look at the context - God wasn't talking to me, he was talking to the Jewish people who were upset at being exiled to Babylon. They just got kicked out of their holy land and are trying to understand why God would do this to them. Yet he promises - there is a plan. Live your lives, prosper, and trust in me! I am here and will be with you. But you have to go through this.

Now, I'm not going through an exile (as much as I tease friends and family for being out of the loop), however I have learned that unless I challenge myself to meet God - our relationship will not grow.

Here is me challenging myself to eat something new:

and... well... I lived!

but didn't really love it.




however, since I've gotten better at trying new foods.




Here is another picture (not me) trying something new at work:

This is a pamper pole, about 22 feet tall.
you climb that telephone pole, stand up on the platform (about the size of a medium pizza box)

and jump off towards the trapeze!! (ah!!)
p.s. not so easy with little legs!


but I challenged myself, and I did it.


I teach kids daily that there is no growth in your comfort zone. You have to step out into your challenge zone. I have been trying this more and more in my life. So why not with my faith?

In peace,
your sister in Christ~
Erin

No comments: