Sunday, October 04, 2009

Calling

Next step: Send the district superintendent a statement of calling.

So here is draft 1~

Statement of Call to Ministry

My great uncle baptized me at the United Methodist church my mother grew up in where every wedding and baptism in our family has taken place for decades. Yet even before this God and the people of the United Methodist church seemed to have claimed me as their own.

I was born on December 2nd, 1986 in Iron Mountain MI and the following Sunday a single rose was placed on an alter of a small United Methodist church in honor of me. My parents had visited the church once before. To this day we are not really sure who found out I had been born and bought the flower. This is the first of many times when the people of the United Methodist church have shown me God’s love.

My church family in Mayville has been a significant part of my spiritual formation. I have wonderful memories of Sunday school classes marching around the room singing about Zacheus. Praise Band and church choir rehearsals. Preaching to a full sanctuary with people standing for my classes’ confirmation. Leading midnight worship for youth lock-ins. And so many more. However, they have not only taught me bible stories, songs, and doctrine – they have truly shown me God’s love in every way. The people there have become family to me - role models, mentors, and life long friends. From the days where I needed to be watched as my mother was playing organ to supporting me know in my candidacy process.

My second year of confirmation class was an important turning point in my faith. Our interim pastor, the third pastor for our class, challenged us to not think of Jesus as a character in a story, but as someone who had a real influence on my life. This man was also the person who first introduced me to the conference by taking us to Jr. High Convo. By the end of the event I was on the design team for the next year, had backed into someone only to find my 1st cousin, and had really begun to explore who God was actively in my life.

The years that followed were filled with local church and conference events that strengthened and challenged my faith. I have always been an extrovert as well as a leader and begun to feel a tugging at my heart to serve others through the church. With friends at my church we began a praise band and started having “Youth Sundays” when the youth did the entire service. I have always loved worship services and discovered I also loved leading worship. Many of the events I lead I focused on empowering and encouraging others to share their gifts and stories, which in turn was an even greater gift to me. In a youth discipleship class, my friends shared with me that they felt I have the spiritual gifts of administration, prophecy, teaching, and exhortation.

With the encouragement of a mentor I attended Exploration, an event for young people to assist in exploring their call, as well as Faith Passage, a 3 week summer academy and 3 weekend retreats through Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary. These experiences led me to working as a counselor at summer camps ministering to campers for 5 years. During my college years I attended UW- La Crosse and UW-Stevens Point for 2 years each. I began seeking a degree in Music Education and graduated with a degree in Youth Programming and Camp Management. At both of these colleges I participated in several campus ministries and local churches. Often I was involved in music ministries, children’s and youth ministries, as well as creating a place for college students to call home.

While I have been involved in many ministries for many years, the reason I do it never changes. God loves me and has showed it through the ministry of those in my local church and conference. I can never repay him for the grace and love he has shown me however one thing I can do is to share his love with others. When I am serving others is when I feel the closest to God. My heart cries to hear stories of those hurting, oppressed, or experiencing injustice. I am drawn to those who are helpless – especially the very young. God calls the church to serve those who are vulnerable and helpless. We are to care for the orphans and the widows. While churches offer sanctuary and renewal, we must never forget to walk outside of our buildings every day and serve the world in which we live. Not because they deserve it, but because God loves them just as he loves me.

Right now I don’t know exactly where God wants me. My passions include children and youth, worshiping God, the outdoors, music, adventure, peace, and people. I love meeting new people and learning their stories. My friends question my compassion and hospitality wondering how I do it. The answer is easy. I love them because God loves them. I will show that love in whatever it seems like they need from a card, dinner, a camping trip, or ball in the mail. It seems to me that Jesus always met people where they were. I strive to do the same while relying on God for my guide and my strength.

These are the reasons why I feel called to serve as a deacon in the United Methodist Church. I am looking forward to many years of ministry and a deeper connection with my God throughout the candidacy process. May God be with you and bless you in your ministry.

Peace

Your sister in Christ,

Erin Kruger

No comments: