Sunday, October 04, 2009

Fundamentals

First of all, I love hearing the pastor preach at my church here in Wilmington. He always says clever things which are simple and true. Today he shared a story from a magazine columnist. His wife and young daughter, 3, were in the car when a story came on about a boy who had killed his parents. The little girl asked unbelieving, "killed his parents?!?!" To which the mother quickly replied, "yes, he was a very naughty boy." Funny how much of a parents job is to teach children the fundamentals, the author writes. Wear clothes, no biting, and don't kill your parents.

There are also fundamentals of being a christian - worship God, love and serve others, and have faith in Jesus Christ. Of course there are more, and along the way they can get very complex. However I believe we get too wrapped up sometimes in the details and lose focus of the basics. I know I complicate things often. I can't help it always... it's how my mind works. For me, it is important to organize these thoughts and ideas in my mind as to importance.

This is the same reason why organizations have mission statements and visions. Goals and objectives. Churches and ministries have these too. Typically going out and making disciples or something of that.

Lots to think about...
How to remember to focus on the basics?
The best thing I've ever had suggested is to be in the word and praying every day.

God Bless
your sister in Christ,
~Erin

No comments: