Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Prophet


When I hear the word Prophet, I think of the great stories I have heard about Isaiah and Jeremiah, Jonah and Moses. Big important . . . men. Leaders, sometimes anyway. People that were closely connected to God and helped to spread his word (and sometimes his anger) to the people. Yet in the past few years this word has often been connected with me.

The first time was near the end of our youth disciple bible study. An interesting experience, but we'll save that for another time. Many of my friends and I had taken it together and we were sharing what spritual gifts we saw in each other. Several people had shared that they felt I had the gift of a prophet. This really surprised me. I didn't really understand what it was or why people saw this in me. So I kinda just let it go.

A little while ago I found a young adult methodist site with The Upper Room. There are some great blogs, devotions, and tons of resources online specifically geared towards young adults. I have started to be more active on this site and yesterday I found a "spritual types test". Once and a while I like to take these little quizzes, so I thought, why not? Obviously many of us are very different in our spirituality so maybe I'll be insightful. And what category did I find?

Prophet.

The other categories where sage, lover, and mystic. Here is some of what the description said.
You are a Prophet, a crusader with a kingdom spirituality. You experience God best through serving others. You value competence and knowledge, and are good at leading and influencing others. Prophets are devoted to their causes, often becoming assertive and aggressive as you implement a vision of the world as God's kingdom on earth. You are our heroic change agents and we admire you for that. Single-minded and deeply focused, you aren't content until society has been transformed.
Prophets are the least represented spiritual type in the general population. You also are the hardest spiritual type to be around, mainly because you make the rest of us feel guilty for not having the same zeal for change that you do. We admire you for sacrificing your personal life for your hope of the kingdom realized on earth, but we are uncomfortable around martyrs.

You have a courageous and sturdy idealism that takes responsibility for change. But, your passion for transforming society can lead you to become impatient with congregations and their perceived lack of concern. You fit best in a hospitable, like-minded community that shares your vision.

Nevertheless, be careful not to become so involved in your cause that you neglect your inner life. Attend as much to your inner life as outer life. One will nourish the other.

Like many descriptions I thought there were just alot of fancy words that everyone likes to hear and think of themselves. But as I read the other descriptions and took the quix again with some different answers I came up with the same result that I feel really does fit me.

Perhaps this is something we need to focus more on in general. How are we as a people of God encouraging each others gifts? How are we providing outlets for different types of spirituality? Do we even talk about it?

Lord, I pray for understanding and guidence as I continue to seek you and find where you have use for me. I also pray for others, that they also connect within a community that encourages them and their relationship with you.

God Bless,
your sister in Christ~Erin

Jeremiah one of my favorite prophets (he was young and passionate!) says this in Chapter 29:10a-12 I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

check it out at www.methodx.org

No comments: