Friday, September 03, 2010

Rebellion

This was the verse of the day today:  


“This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.”- Isaiah 48:17


Does it make me a rebellious young person to not entirely like this verse?  One thing I try to stress to the youth I work with is that nobody likes to be told what to do.  It takes a pretty good leader to be able to motivate people to do what they want without people feeling like you are telling them what to do.  


In the US we live in a society which tells us that we can do whatever we want.  It's all about having the freedom to live how we choose.  And characteristically we get very upset when others think they can tell us what to do.  


But then I wonder sometimes if that's not just human nature.  When the Israelites  asked God for a king, he said HE was the king.  But they just kept asking until he finally gave in and look what a mess that turned out to be sometimes.  Parents everywhere will tell you that children will sometimes do exactly the opposite of what you tell them just because you told them.  Why is it so hard for us to be obedient?  


But when I spend more time with this verse and fight against my rebellious side it is comforting.  God knows what is best and will teach it to me and I continue to look to him and not myself for which way to go.  Best of luck with you also.  


In peace, 
your sister in Christ~Erin

No comments: