Friday, February 20, 2009

Inspired by Wesley

Soooo many things to do. In so many categories. I wish I didn't think about them all so much sometimes... and just did more of them. But I've been wishing that for a long time - don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Today I find myself inspired by John Wesley. We have a Wesley Society on campus and we're really trying to grow the group. The hardest part is to find words to describe why the heck we are called a Wesley Society and what we do. I grew up methodist. I have studied it quite and bit and I'm sure with seminary coming in the next few years sometime I will learn a whole lot more. How do I even begin to tell someone about it all?

As I was designing our wesley web page I was wondering how much to put on it. Our conference has come up with a format for young adult ministry I love.

A place to belong. A place to matter. A place to believe.

The United Methodist church has just published some new visions and goals with easy to remember numbers.

We the people of the United Methodist Church

1 - believe in making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world

We live by
2 kinds of holiness - Personal and Social

We follow
3 simple Rules
- Do no harm
- Do good
- Stay in love with God

We work in
4 areas of focus
- Developing leaders
- creating places for new people
- eliminating poverty
- improving health globally

We are the people of the United Methodist Church

We have all these slogans, bylines, and explanations. I like them, don't get me wrong. It's so hard to try and break down my faith and my religion into words and these help. And one thing that helps me is looking back to the words of John Wesley ( I know crazy methodist in me - I find inspiration in John Wesley similar to how I find inspiration from the bible...)

"Do all the go you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can."

That's going to have to find a place somewhere on the new website.

A sister along the journey
~Erin

No comments: