Friday, September 07, 2007

Change, Changing, and Changeless

As a college student change is my life. I change jobs or homes or something big about every 4 months. I have just made a change in schools and am trying to adjust. Things all around me keep changing and sometimes in the river of change I just want to grab a rock and keep things the same for a minute!

Reguardless of how we feel life is forever changing around us and when we try to recreate an awesome experience from the past it almost always comes crashing down around us. Each day is different, yet sometimes can seem monotomously the same. When we get into habits we can get into ruts and sometimes lose the sense of wonder around us at the little things. This I feel is when I get the most frustrated with change.

I want to relax and hang out with friends like I used to - but I have to go meet friends. I have to go to class, but the path to class and the beauty outdoors can be a pleasant new surprise if I let it be. I can affect some change for the better just with my attitude.

The idea of a changeless God is one that has caused me some difficult thought. Here are some scriptures about it:
Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
1 Samuel 15:29
He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind."
Malachi 3:6
"I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.

and often in philosophy or theology discussions the fact that God is eternal (always was, is, and out of time) is understood as changeless, a constant.

Not sure if you can see where I struggle with this concept, but I do. At times it seems as if the God referred to in the old testament and the new are two different people. Is that not a change? To go from commanding the dystruction of whole towns or peoples to teaching a Gospel of love toward all and peace? Where the situations just so that He knew ahead of time that at this time He needed to be harsh and unforgiving while later he would choose a different path? Does He always know what the future will hold and the choices we are going to make? The ideas we will create and as a human race advance the world? Did he know of computers and airplanes and medicines?

ALl of these thoughts continue to evolve around the free will question. Do we really have free will make choices that change our future or does God know us so well that he simply knows what choices we will make?

Just some random thoughts to spread into the vast universe. God Bless you and yours,
In Peace
Erin
your sister in Christ

an ending verse
Jeremiah 33:3: "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."

No comments: