Monday, October 02, 2006

The same table

As many of us do, I often find myself totally swamped but so busy i'm running from here to there all the time. Especially on Sundays. I am musical, so often I am asked to help out with services. My friend Pious asked me to help him with yesterdays service, as he was having a real hard time putting things together. I have already commited to my church, and yeserday I was the only soprano. But I told him I would help. I made both services and recieved many thanks and compliments from each, but I was not fed.

It was world communion sunday, so literally yes i was fed, but I was not able to really worship or spend time honoring God. So like i sometimes do, I went to Mass. I know i'm not Catholic, and they don't want ppl who aren't catholic to take communion simply because it is one of the biggest doctrinal issues between Catholics and Prodestants. But I needed to take it. No big deal, but I laughed a lil bit when i went up and Father Mark happened to be giving communion in my section and he recognized me. Our campus priest is one of the best speakers I have ever heard, and one of the funniest religious leaders I have ever been around. I have spent some time with him, enough that we have had the communion conversation as well as he knows I am on the path to be a UM pastor. Defiately remembered I wasn't Catholic.

But the one thing stressed yesterday was that on World Communion Sunday we celebrate with Christians all over the world our salvation in Jesus. Sure each of the traditions do it a bit differently, each of the churches I took communion at yesterday was a bit different, but that we can celebrate the sacrifice of our Lord together is awesome. That we can eat around the same table. It also gives us a reminder to pray for each other.

Luke 22:19-20
19And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."
20In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Pray for our fellow Christians today all over the world as they celebrate or suffer as we all do.
God Bless!
your sister in Christ,
Erin

No comments: