Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Outreach

Matthew 28:18 -20 (The Message)
Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

Everyone you meet? I mean I love Jesus, but the great commission isn't something we like to draw attention to all the time. I was discussing with my campus chaplin yesterday how our baby ministry is going. We are having a hard time getting people into the house. Hm... I thought, this rings a bell, we are having a hard time getting people into our churches as well!

But how do we change that? Outreach? Well to do outreach you need people, and we only have 3, but we have 3. Most of our churches have more that this but the problem still occurs. What kinds of things do we do? Who do we aim for? The unchurched? Young people? acording to Matthew, Jesus said everyone. Period.

yet, there always seems to be a but. Most often I run into, but they already go to a bible study or another church. Or many other excuses. So many of our church events focus on the people already in the church. Not saying this is bad, because helping our members grow in their faith is a huge responsibility as well, but what about the people outside the church?

How do we get people (in my case) accross the street and to the ministry house?
we already offer free food
How do we feed people if they aren't there?
How do we make disciples???

God Bless,
your sister in Christ,
Erin

No comments: