Monday, December 04, 2006

Serving

Christmas time always gets us in more of a helping/sharing/serving mood. I ran accross this devo and thought it was appropriate for that feeling. I included the whole thing because as wonderful as scripture is I for one have a hard time remembering it, but when linked with a story it makes it easier for me. Happy Holidays!
your sister in Christ~Erin

ideas to serve this season
*bell ring for the salvation army
*angel tree gifts/sponering a family
*serve food at a food kitchen
*coats for kids/mitten trees
*finals care packages for college students
*instead of giving gifts, donate money
*carol at a nursing home
and many many more, check out in your community!

Matthew 25:31-40 (NRSV)

Jesus said, "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.'"

_________________________

Surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.
- Jeremiah 29:11 (NRSV)
_________________________


Dan West (1893-1971), a Christian aid worker in Spain during their civil war, agonized over the life-and-death decisions involving the cups of reconstituted milk he gave to starving children. It was never enough, and infants who received no milk died. "These children don't need a cup of milk; they need a cow," he thought. He dreamed of bringing some cows from his native Indiana to hungry people so they could produce their own milk. Then he got another idea: "Why not send pregnant cows, so those who receive the gift of life in the name of Jesus Christ can pass it along to others and become part of the chain?"

When he returned home in 1938, he told dairy farmers in his church about his idea. When World War II ended, West and the others began to ship cows and then sheep, goats, chickens, rabbits, and other animals to people on both sides of the conflict. The idea grew, and many churches joined in.

Since then, millions of animals have been given to people in 128 different countries by the ecumenical organization that West founded - Heifer International. In all those years its mission has remained unchanged - to provide a future with hope by bringing to the hungry a long-term source of food, all in the name of Jesus.

Prayer: Lord of all, help us to serve all. Amen.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
How can I make a difference?

No comments: