Monday, October 18, 2010

Stories


Isn’t it fascinating how important stories are to us?  Be it a family story handed down over generations or a tale from a friend about their weekend stories are integral to who we are.  Jesus used stories to help us learn and reach more people – parables. 

I love to get caught up in stories.  And a good story can be told and retold – or watched and re-watched!  Tonight I find myself snuggling up under my favorite green wool blanket and memory quilt watching – Ever After.  It has been one of my favorite movies for years, one that guarantees to calm and comfort my soul. 

Calming is what I require tonight – but not for anything bad – I got caught up in another story and want to focus on something else.  I just finished the second book of the Inheritance series – Eldest.  (The book following Eragon).  Ah.  AH.  AHHHHH!!!

The story hasn’t ended and I’m just dying to know what happens next.  I must have read at least 300 pages today.  I just love the struggles, the psychology, and the philosophy entwined throughout the story.  To summarize 2 large (several hundred pages each) books: 

Eragon, a country boy whose life has always been full of hunting and harvesting, finds a unique rock one day on a hunting trip in the mountains.  Several days later the “egg” hatches into a dragon and Eragon is swept up in a momentous, unbelievable, and heroic tale.  Through hardships, vengeance, mentors,  new lessons, and the struggles of coming of age Eragon and his dragon become involved in many adventures which continue to unravel surprises about his past and the Empire.   The 3 races of humans, Elves, and Dwarfs depend on this dragon and her Rider, and good and evil is never as black and white as it may seem. 

The books, as any good fiction, deal with many things we face in life:  injustice and anger, vengeance, honor, limitations, failures, family, good and evil, philosophy, strength, love, friendship, loyalty, and betrayal to name a few.  All wrapped up in a delightful story that makes me laugh, cry, and shriek with surprise. 

Book 2 ends with an understanding of the title and a whole load of new information at once – I am going crazy! 

Through there are some really important themes in the book.  If you want to achieve greatness, then you must take the time to learn from someone with great wisdom, skill, and knowledge.  I want to do great things – but I’m not sure how yet.  I dream of founding a non-profit organization based on helping connect people who have with people who have not to create real relationships.  To do so I have answered God’s calling on my life and am off to seminary.  Yet I struggle with the idea of spending more time not realizing my dreams and calling.  But the importance of learning is bigger.  I can’t do much with limited knowledge.  I only hope that I may work on both school and this organization at the same time. 

However I do love the way the author presents situations in which right and wrong are challenged, and often changed.  To have an open mind in a very difficult task, yet still one of the greatest gifts and child can receive.  We deal with this is life.  How to face an employer honestly, communication or dealing with miscommunication with others, taking care of oneself, etc.  These are also things I teach at camp.  Subjects I love and yet struggle with all at the same time.  

The biggest connection I made with the book is the main characters time in "training".  Taking time out for learning is a large part of many cultures.  That is the next step in my life and I pray that God grants me with an open mind and wisdom as I study his word and how to serve the world through him.  

Proverbs 4

Wisdom Is Supreme
 1 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
       pay attention and gain understanding.
 2 I give you sound learning,
       so do not forsake my teaching.

 3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
       still tender, and an only child of my mother,

 4 he taught me and said,
       "Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
       keep my commands and you will live.

 5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
       do not forget my words or swerve from them.

 6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
       love her, and she will watch over you.

 7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
       Though it cost all you have, 
[a] get understanding.
 8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
       embrace her, and she will honor you.

 9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
       and present you with a crown of splendor."

 10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
       and the years of your life will be many.



In peace, 
your sister in Christ~Erin

No comments: